Thursday, April 2, 2015

Breathe


Here's a Throwback Thursday photo for you.  This is Cora massaging my hand for me while I was in the hospital. What does that have to do with today's word? I'll tell you.

One of the things I remember most about the time right after my accident, when things were often painful and generally bad, is the touch of my loved ones.  I could be down a deep, dark hole of pain, and feel Deane's touch on my hand and my heart rate would slow, my blood pressure would go down, I would breathe.

Somehow, just knowing that Deane, or Julian or Cora was there, touching me, was enough to bring me back from the edge. Their physical touch was more powerful than words.  It was comfort.

It still is.

If ever you need to bring comfort to a loved one; if you need to help them relax and breathe, try a simple touch.  Caress their hand, rub their neck, smooth the hair from their forehead.  Just be there, touch them, and watch them breathe.

No comments: