Thursday, May 1, 2014

Our First Date

Our First Date

May 1, 1987, our first date and the beginning of the best part of my life.

It didn't start out to be a date.  You may recall, Deane and I had met a few months before and had gotten to be friends during that time. I had also broken up with my boyfriend and was not dating anyone at the time. It was the end of the second semester of my Sophomore year at the U of I.  I was very excited about having some of my videos and photos in an Art Show at Allen Hall and had invited everyone I knew to come. Deane, Dave H. and Becky (a friend from High School) all came to the show.  They got there near the end and asked if I'd like to go out dancing afterwards.  I thought that sounded like lots of fun.

The three of us got into Deane's huge black LTD and drove to C Street, the best place to go dancing back then.  We had a great time and closed the place down.  I remember I was wearing boots and my feet hurt from dancing so much.  When we got back to the car I took my boots off and Deane rubbed my feet while we decided what to do next.  None of us were ready for the night to be over.

Becky suggested we go to her parent's house and get in the hot tub.  This sounded great to us!  We went by my apartment so I could get my swimsuit and then headed over to Becky's parent's.  I remember the guys went and changed in another room while Becky and I got into our suits.  Then we all got into the hot tub. 

Roxy Music was playing on the boombox.  Dave and Becky were enjoying each other's company and Deane and I were talking on the other side of the hot tub.  After what seemed like an eternity, Deane kissed me.  That was it.  Weather I knew it at the time or not, that was the beginning of the best part of my life.

After the hot tub we all went back to Becky's apartment and crashed; all four of us passed out on her bed.

The next day Deane and I went to see the Battle of the Bands on campus.  It was a beautiful day with good music and great company.  I remember ending the day by telling Deane I didn't know if I really wanted a boyfriend yet (I had recently broken up with a long time boyfriend and kind of wanted to be on my own for awhile).  He was totally cool about it and said that was fine.

I think I called him the next day to see if he wanted to go to a movie with me.

We've been together ever since.

No comments: