Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Lent 2014 - Day 15 - Being Connected

Being Connected

I think we can all pretty much agree that technology is awesome, when it works! 

Take for example, the fact that I could go along with my daughter as she shopped in Florida today.  Through text messages and photos I was able to share in the experience from my office in Illinois.  It made me miss her, but I think it made her miss me less.  It was pretty awesome.

Today I also shared one of my all time favorite Bill Cosby (Chocolate Cake) skits with my kids.  They've heard us reference it many times, but I'm not sure they'd ever seen it before.  Now, if I could just track down a clip of his "Jesus Christ and Dammit" skit, my day would be complete!

I'm using technology right now to talk to the tens of you who read my posts. I use it at work to well, have a job really.  It's all pretty awesome.  Except when it isn't.

It isn't awesome at the dinner table.

It really isn't awesome in the movie theater or at a play (except when you're texting your daughter as she's trying to find the right gate for her connecting flight in Atlanta and she's all by herself, then, it's awesome as long as it's done discretely).

I guess I'd have to go with it's not awesome anytime it prevents people from communicating, especially in person.

It is awesome when one person in your family lives overseas and you want to see them but can't be there in person.

It can be a detractor, even when we think it's enhancing the experience.  Sometimes we get so caught up in sharing an experience we forget to experience it. Experience it first, share it later. Don't get distracted by all of the technology and information around you and lose sight of the people and things right in front of you.

Let technology enhance your life, not dominate it.


No comments: