Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Lent 2014 - Day 22 - How I Met Your Father

How I Met Your Father

It was Spring Break of my Sophomore year at the U of I.  I was 20. My then boyfriend was out of town for the week and I went to my favorite campus bar, Eddies to hang out with some friends. 

Eddies had two levels of seating and I was at a table with some friends on the lower level.  This guy on the upper level kept trying to get my attention.  I was doing my best to ignore him.  Suddenly, I heard the guy call me by name. 

Now, I knew no one I was with would have told this guy who I was, so I was quite surprised.  I looked up and saw a girl I had gone to high school with sitting at a table with the guy who was harassing me, and this other really cute guy.  She was not someone I expected to see at Eddies, and in fact I hadn't seen her since high school, so I went up to talk to her.

When I got to her table she introduced me to her friends, Dave and Deane.  Dave, the guy who'd been pestering me all night, turned to me and said "Your eyes, they're so (wait for it!), dark!" and I believe I said something to the effect of "And you're so full of sh@@!".

We ended up hanging out as a group, some of my friends and Dave and Deane and the girl I went to school with.  It was a strange evening but an important one, as it was the day I met your father.  

Deane and I started dating about two months later.  Dave is still one of Deane's closest friends, even though he now lives hundreds of miles away.  I no longer think he is full of anything bad am very grateful to him for pestering me so much that fateful night!

Dave actually took this picture of us, it's one of my all time favorites!

No comments: