Monday, March 31, 2014

Lent 2014 - Day 23 - Food

Food

I love good food.  Unfortunately it shows, but I'm working on that.  Whenever we go someplace Deane and I try to eat food we can't get at home.  This last weekend was a wonderful opportunity for that!

I ate flat-bread pizza with smoked salmon, cream fresh, mozzarella and caviar for lunch on Friday. It was delicious! Deane had a Drunken Goat flat-bread pizza that had sausage and goat cheese and Merlot.  It was good too, but I won.

We do that; compete to see who picked the best dish.  It's fun and it means we get to share.

For dinner on Friday night, our friends Mike and Karen took us out to a steak place called Pittsburgh Blue.  It w was AMAZING!  The photo above was my meal, Filet Oscar.  Petite filet cooked medium rare with asparagus and a crab cake on top, smothered in Bearnaise sauce. We had stuffed mushrooms and loaded  mashed potatoes as sides.  And bread, can't forget the bread!  A nice Cabernet to wash it all down.
For dessert (as if there was any room) we had Red Velvet cake with wonderful cream cheese frosting and Key Lime pie. Love.

Going out for nice meals like this is about much more than the food.  It's an experience.  Good atmosphere, nice service, great company.  I love it when a meal takes a few hours to get through because you're busy talking and drinking it all in.  It gives you time to slow down and savor the conversation, company and the food.  It's about much more than the calories consumed, it's about the time spent together doing something enjoyable.

I like to cook too, when I have time to do it right, which, unfortunately isn't very often.  Sharing food is a way to share love and there's nothing wrong with that!

So, eat up and enjoy!

No comments: