Saturday, March 22, 2014

Lent 2014 - Day 18 - Baptism

Baptism

I was baptized on June 16th, 2009 at the First Lutheran Church in Paxton.

This was something I struggled with for a very long time.  Julian finally put it into perspective for me by saying "What's the big deal, just do it!"  In other words, "Get out of your own way Mom and accept the truth."  After that, it seemed simple.

Deane was raised Lutheran and so have we raised our children.

My mother was raised Catholic and is now Episcopalian.  My father is Jewish.  I was raised to not believe in religion.  When I was young, neither of my parents practiced any faith.  They have since both gone back to church / temple.  My half siblings all grew up in faith.  I had to get there on my own.

My husband helped me get there, he helped a lot.  He was very patient and never pushy.  He led by example.  Then, one day, we met this great guy who also turned out to be my husband's Pastor.  It was a bit of a revelation for me that a Man of God could also be a regular man. One who liked Star Trek, motorcycles and wine.  He helped me get the rest of the way there.

Now, I'm working on learning and growing my Faith, something I'm sure I'll be doing the rest of my days.

Tomorrow I will have the honor of becoming a Godmother for the first time.  I can't begin to tell you how much this means to me.  To have people pick you to become part of their family, to be asked to help raise their child, there is no greater honor.  This, among many other things, is one of the greatest rewards my new found Faith has brought me.  I can hardly wait to see what will come next!

No comments: