Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Lent 2014 - Day 25 - Gratitude / Guilt

Gratitude / Guilt

This photo is from the Anniversary meal that was served to us while I was at Heartland.  It was prepared by my children and some very kind friends who did everything they could to turn a nursing home dining room into an intimate meal for two.  I am so very grateful to them, and to so many others, who went out of their way to help us in our time of need. 

The family that helped my children prepare this meal is now in dire need of help themselves.  I will do what I can for them, it won't be enough.

This breaks my heart.

There, but for the Grace of God, go I.

We could have lost everything.  We didn't.

I could have died. I didn't.

I guess it's called Survivor's Guilt.  Why did things work out for us and not for others?  

Every time I start to feel sorry for myself or get mad at the situation I'm in, I see or hear of someone who is far worse off than me.

I get it.  I need to get over it and move forward.  It's hard, it hurts and it's not fun, but I can do it and for that I am eternally grateful.

So, I guess it's time, once again, to pull up my Big Girl Pants, stop complaining about what's ailing me and get to work helping these dear people who need everything we can give them right now.

Hang on folks!  It's going to be a bumpy ride!


No comments: