Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Lent 2014 - Day 24 - Caesar

Caesar

I love Teddy Bears, always have.  I have slept with one most of my life.  They are so soft and cuddly, relaxing to snuggle up with.  Love.

While I was recovering at Heartland some friends sent me Caesar as a gift.  Cora named him. He became my companion, a touch of home.  

I couldn't move very much for about 4.5 months. I'm a side sleeper, and that was simply not an option with re-bar through my pelvis. I was propped up on six pillows on a special air mattress, doing everything possible to take the weight off of my broken tail bone as well as keeping my pelvis from twisting.  It was a feat to say the least.  

At night, when it was time for bed, I would lean my bed back a little and tuck Caesar under my arm.  I could turn my head to the side, but that was about it.  Having something to cuddle definitely helped!

During the day, while I was out of my room for PT/OT, one of the housekeepers at Heartland would come in and clean my room.  There was one in particular who would always make my bed and arrange Caesar in some silly pose on it.  Sometimes he even had a note with some happy thought for me.  It always made me smile!

The kind man who sent Caesar to me has since passed away.  He was not much older than me and had suffered from poor health for a long time.  I think he knew exactly how much a soft Teddy Bear would help me.  I got to see him once after I was released from the nursing home.  He was in good spirits as always and it was a joy to be able to thank him for his gift in person.  He passed away about six months later from a heart attack.

I still sleep with Caesar tucked under my arm.  I can now sleep on my side once again, although rolling over is still a bit of a challenge.  I'm lucky that Deane doesn't get jealous or tease me about my sleeping companion. At night, as I'm falling asleep, I often think of those who sent Caesar to me and wish them peace.

I may never know why others die and I didn't, that is something I will struggle with always.  I can only try to do my best with the time I've been given.  I hope I'm doing it right.

Sweet dreams.

No comments: