Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Call


Every once in awhile you  know there is something you need to do.  It doesn't happen often, and it doesn't always seem like it's a big deal.  

Sometimes, you push it aside and forget about it.

Sometimes, it nags at you.

Sometimes, you do it.

Once, about a year and a half after my accident I heard it. 

A step-sister of a young friend was in a terrible car accident. She had survived but had suffer injuries similar to my own. I had heard of the young woman, but had never met her. I told my husband I needed to go visit her in the hospital.

Deane knew her family and took me to visit her.  It was the first time I'd been back in the hospital since being released and it was weird for me to be there.  It was awkward at first.  We just showed up at her room.  Soon, her mother recognized Deane and figured out why we were there.  She introduced me to her daughter.  They were having a rough day.  They had just learned that she would be sent to a nursing home soon and they didn't know where she should go. I told her that was easy, she should go to Heartland.

We explained our experiences there to the family and you could feel the relief in the room. They suddenly had a game plan and first had recommendations of how to take the next steps in recovery.

It was such a small thing. Really, it was nothing at all. It was  exactly what they needed, when they needed it.

People who know them still thank me for stopping by the hospital that day.

Another time we had the opportunity to help raise money for a baby that needed surgery. I helped organize a benefit at our church. We got donations of items from so many different people and organized a raffle. We put together a soup and sandwich lunch to go along with the raffle and set it all up in the church basement.

We raised $4,000 in an afternoon. That was exactly what the family needed to pay for her heart surgery.

It was work, but it was fun, and it was worth every minute.

I haven't had that feeling in awhile.  I miss it.  I hope it comes again. Maybe I'm not listening hard enough...

No comments: