Sunday, March 22, 2015

Still


This post was supposed to be written yesterday.  Yesterday was anything but Still, as a result I had not opportunity to write until today, so here we go.

Still, being quite. A Show Choir and Jazz Band competition is not quiet.  It is tons of fun, a bit stressful and very much full of sound. 

Deane and I got to chaperon yesterday.  This amounted to making sure the costumes arrived safely, the kids had some games to play while waiting for performances and making sure everyone got something to eat.  These kids don't need supervision for the most part.  When we talk, they listen.  When we ask for help or for them to do something, they do it.  When we ask them to thank the nice folks at McDonald's in Gilman who handled being inundated with teenagers at 9pm with grace and competence, they all yelled "Thank You!" and applauded. We were pretty much the only ones in the place, and the place was full.

I guess I'm glad that I still feel like we are a part of the lives of these great kids.  I love their energy and how they care for each other.  To be fair, there's always some teen-aged drama, but the positivity far outweighs it.

Even though sitting on hard chairs all day led to a night full of pain, I'm still glad to have been a part of a great day.


No comments: