Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Truth


Truth is not always good, it is not always what we want it to be and it should not always be shared. Sometimes, however, it's exactly what we need, whether we like it or not.

Controversial views? Maybe.  Let me explain. 

The motivation behind telling, or not telling a truth may be more important than the truth itself.

Who is served by this truth?  Is it me?  Is it the person I'm sharing it with?  Is it God?  

If the answer is: me, and the affect of telling harms someone else, is telling a good thing or is it just self serving?

Knowing a truth and sharing it are two different things.  Understanding it is something else altogether.  Being an adult means learning to understand the differences,

 Let me give you an example:
"Yes, those jeans make your butt look fat." may be true, but it has also now ruined those jeans for the one wearing them.Was telling the truth worth the cost of hurting someone's feelings? If I'm genuinely concerned about my friend's weight there are better ways to let her know.

All I'm saying here is consider the consequences involved before sharing a truth. Keep the feelings of those involved in mind.

There are some truths that need no censorship or explanation:

  • Love is powerful
  • Sunsets are beautiful
  • Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
  • Laughter is healing
  • People need one another
What are your truths?

No comments: